ISO 9001 is the internationally recognised standard for the certification of Quality Management Systems for businesses. It applies to the processes that create and control the products and services in an organisation.
It prescribes systematic control of activities to ensure that the needs and expectations of customers are met. It is designed and intended to apply to virtually any product or service, made by any process, anywhere in the world.
Implementing a Quality Management System has been shown to motivate staff by defining their key roles and responsibilities, and improved efficiency and productivity to produce cost savings. Product or service deficiencies will be highlighted and, from this, system and control improvements can be developed, resulting in less waste, lower levels of inappropriate or rejected work and fewer customer complaints. Existing customers gain confidence and will soon realise that orders are met consistently, on time and to the correct specification. New customers will place initial orders with confidence. This can open up the marketplace to increased opportunities and company growth.
In our case, the company has its system independently assessed by auditors from LRQA. This enhances the credibility of any system.
- Registration to ISO 9001 by an accredited certification body such as Lloyds Register Quality Assurance shows a commitment to quality, customers, and a willingness to work towards improving efficiency levels.
- It demonstrates the existence of an effective quality management system that satisfies the rigours of an independent, external audit.
- An ISO 9001 certificate enhances company image in the eyes of customers, employees and shareholders alike.
- It also gives a competitive edge to an organisation's marketing.
The implementation of a system takes time and commitment from senior management and has several key steps in the process, which include:
- Identify the requirements of ISO 9001 and how they apply to the business involved.
- Establish quality objectives and how they fit in to the operation of the business.
- Produce a documented quality policy indicating how these requirements are satisfied.
- Communicate them throughout the organisation.
- Evaluate the quality policy, its stated objectives and then prioritise requirements to ensure they are met.
- Identify the boundaries of the management system and produce documented procedures as required.
- Ensure these procedures are suitable and adhered to.
- Once developed, internal audits are needed to ensure the system carries on working.
A.J.A.Smith Transport Limited is committed to offering consistently good product and service in pursuit of total customer satisfaction.
In order to achieve this A.J.A. Smith Transport Limited has established a Management System, which through flexibility will allow continual improvement in both Quality and Customer Service, and will have the full commitment of the Directors and all levels of management, who will ensure that adequate resources, in both finance and personnel are provided, allowing the system to operate without constraints.
It is the company’s aim to use where possible the latest in technology - both in vehicles and other facilities, therefore giving its customers the best service possible. All staff are instructed that customer requirements must be given priority. If deviations are deemed necessary, prior permission must be sought from the Directors.
The Management System will be consistent with ISO 9001: 2000 model for quality.
In accordance with this policy the objectives of the company are: -
- A.J.A.Smith Transport Limited will constantly monitor the needs of there customers through personal contact and visits, ensuring that there are no delays in actioning the current needs of each customer.
- To forward proof of delivery within seven working days, following the date the P.O.D. (Proof of Delivery) is received from the driver or sub contractor.
- To ensure that no claims for loss or damaged loads are received.
- To change 50% of the fleet over the coming year, ensuring that the image of A.J.A. Smith Transport is always of the highest level when presented to the customer.
- To ensure that company vehicles comply with all relevant regulations (Tachograph, speed limiter V.I. Test ).
- Through experience and training, develop staff competence, to ensure the needs of the customers can be met.
- To ensure that Top Management within the Transport Operation, participate in quality management and are aware of the needs of customers.
- Our main financial Objective is to Fully utilise the full potential of the site, ensuring a steady input of revenue, other than that obtained through the transport operation.
Through effective analysis of data, establish a program that will allow continual improvement of the Management System, which will effect management decisions and actions when dealing with the needs of the customer. A quarterly report will be raised, by the management representative, on all aspects of quality policy, and the management system. This report will be presented at a meeting of all managers and staff representatives, where through discussion any changes needed to the systems can be made, without delay.